Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Why do genealogy at all?

My family doesn't have a president in its past, or anyone who signed the Declaration of Independence, or anything like that. My family's nearest brush with greatness seems to have coalesced in the form of my great-great-grandfather, Adelbert Kendall (that's "uh-DELL-bert," by the way).

I never met the man, of course. But he lived a full life. In his time, he was a farmer, prospector, deputy sheriff, volunteer militiaman, postmaster, lawyer, bank vice-president, judge, and real-estate magnate. The trick in writing his biography, though, is to tell his life in an elegant, engaging way that avoids phrases like "Adelbert Kendall was born."

And once one adds elegance, the story becomes more tricky. I find myself hypothesizing motives, trying to discern causes of death, making inferences about the presence or absence of extended family. I find myself wondering what season a certain event took place in so that I can add imagery, or wondering what the odds were for a 17-year old male living in Vermont during the height of the Civil War to be drafted.

What's really ironic is that I know so much about this man. I have not a single photograph, but I feel that I know him better than I know any other ancestor (aside from the ones I've met--and even some of those).

My better half, who jokingly refers to Adelbert as "the con artist," recently asked me why I'm interested in genealogy. I think at least part of it is seeing myself in the context of the history of the world, seeing human nature at work, and being inspired by those who have gone before me. Seeing my family as having a story, and realizing that I'm now a part of that story.

Bet meeting new cousins is awesome, too, especially when you already have the common interest of genealogy. So far, I seem to have about the best cousins on the planet.

Plus, finding out new information, or most especially breaking down a long-standing genealogical brick wall one or two more generations, is just plain fun.

Why do genealogy?

No comments: